Are you up for Walk the Wight 2015?
24-04-2015 Red Funnel is inviting walkers of all ages to help celebrate the 25th anniversary of Walk the Wight, the annual fundraising walk across the breadth of Isle of Wight which takes place on Sunday 10th May.
Walk the Wight is organised by the Island’s Earl Mountbatten Hospice and the charity hopes to raise £250,000 from this year’s event.
To participate in Walk the Wight, walkers are normally asked to donate money through sponsorship but this year Red Funnel is offering a £32 Walk the Wight pack which includes:
- £18 donation to the Earl Mountbatten Hospice (in lieu of sponsorship)
- Walk the Wight t-shirt
- Walk number
- Discounted foot passenger return ferry travel from Southampton to East or West Cowes
- Free return bus to the start of the walk and return from the finishing point
For walkers who wish to take the car, Red Funnel is also offering a 20% discount if staying on the Island one night or more.
Walk the Wight packages can be purchased online at redfunnel.co.uk/walkthewight
The spectacular walk is comprised of four distances and takes in areas of outstanding natural beauty, from Bembridge to the Needles at Alum Bay. The three different routes allow participants to choose a distance suitable to their fitness levels, from the full marathon length to a slightly more leisurely eight miles. Walkers can choose from: -
- a) the full 26.5 mile walk will take 7-10 hours and starts at Bembridge Airport and finishes at Alumn Bay
- b) the half walk is 14 miles long and will take 4-7 hours, starting at Carisbrooke Castle and finishing at Alumn Bay.
- c) the flat walk is 8 miles long and starts at Sandown High School and finishes at Newport.
Participants will be rewarded for their efforts on the day with stunning views across the Isle of Wight and a rare chance to walk on paths that are usually not open to the public.
Jonathan Green, marketing and communications director at Red Funnel, said: "Walk the Wight is a fantastic event as it not only gives walkers unique access to some of the Island’s most spectacular countryside but it also raises badly needed funds for a really worthwhile charity. Our new Walk the Wight packages and itineraries on the website make it really easy for people of all ages living on the mainland to take part”.
The annual event has raised over £3 million for the Earl Mountbatten Hospice, which provides comprehensive end of life healthcare for the Isle of Wight community.
For more information on Walk the Wight, visit www.redfunnel.co.uk/walkthewight