Discounted fares for NHS patients
If you’re travelling to NHS medical appointments in Southampton or on the Isle of Wight, you’re eligible for discounted foot passenger rates on Red Funnel. A special return passenger ferry fare of £11.80 per person is available for the patient and a companion. Where the patient is a child, the discounted fare is available for up to two adults travelling with the child. Please note the fare applies to sailings from West Cowes and Southampton T2 after 08:45, although exceptions may be made for earlier appointments.
How it works
- A fare of £11.80 per person will be charged for the patient and a companion attending an NHS appointment or for NHS treatment under a named NHS consultant.
- The fare is only valid for outbound travel on the day of the treatment or procedure and travel is not permitted before 08:45 hrs unless, at Red Funnel’s discretion, the appointment time requires the patient to travel earlier.
- The fare normally applies to Day Return journeys for outpatient treatment but may be extended (for example for in-patient treatment) if the patient can prove that an overnight stay is required.
- To claim the rate you must present your appointment letter/card from the hospital along with proof of your address that matches the appointment card. Proof of address could be either driving license, passport, household or council tax bill.
- Please note the following are excluded from the scheme:
- Patients attending for treatment privately
- Patients attending treatment at a private hospital,
- Patients attending appointments with GPs, pharmacists, dentists or opticians
- Patients in receipt of benefits which would entitle them to claim under the Hospital Travel Costs scheme
- Retrospective claims
For bus and onward travel information from Southampton T2 click here.
For bus and onward travel information from West Cowes (Isle of Wight) click here.
Request for car travel
If you need to travel for hospital appointments with your car please complete the form below and a member of our team will be in touch as soon as possible. Noting to submit your request, in a timely manner before the appointment to allow for processing. Requests made 1 or 2 days beforehand are not guaranteed. Retrospective claims are excluded.
*When submitting supporting documentation. This could be in the form of a photo or scanned copy, or an email, containing the NHS logo and information pertaining to the hospital or clinic undertaking the treatment and the date of appointment, with the name of the person attending the appointment clearly shown.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.