Red Jet 6 progress update
02-11-2015 The construction of Red Funnel’s largest ever Hi-Speed passenger ferry is on schedule at East Cowes on the Isle of Wight. The £6m state of the art vessel is being built by Shemara Refit LLP for delivery to Red Funnel in the second quarter of 2016.
The twin aluminium catamaran hulls are now easily recognisable inside the Union Jack branded Columbine building.
The build milestones achieved so far include: -
• 85% of the longitudinal hull deck and double bottom plates are in position
• The hull frames and bulkheads forward of the engine rooms are complete
• The rolling and attachment of the hull plates is 50% complete
• The fabrication of the fuel tanks is complete and ready for pressure testing
• The forward bridge module is 75% complete
• Construction of the bow module is 10% complete
• Detailed 3D modelling of the machinery arrangement and the equipment to be installed in the engine and jet rooms is almost complete
• Work on the vessel superstructure gets underway this month
Kevin George, Red Funnel’s CEO commented “We are delighted with the progress being made on Red Jet 6 and we continue to be impressed by the high quality of workmanship from the team at Shemara”.
More information about Red Jet 6 and the progress made to date is available online at www.redfunnel.co.uk/redjet6