All aboard for Cowes Week 2015
14-07-2015 Cowes on the Isle of Wight is the place to be this August for Aberdeen Asset Management’s Cowes Week, one of the longest running and largest events of its kind in the world.
Attracting some 1,000 yachts and around 7,000 competitors including World Champions, Olympic medallists and a sprinkling of celebrities, there’s adrenalin fuelled excitement out on the water and a lively party atmosphere ashore to entertain thousands of spectators. Would-be yachtiescan try their hand at sailing with UKSA with taster sessions available for just £5 per person or take a leisurely cruise to watch the racing from one of the many spectator boats.
For the best view in town and across the Solent, visitors to AAM Cowes Week can take a trip on the Giant Red Funnel Ferris Wheel at Northwood House. Also, if looking skyward on Thursday 13th August visitors will see the amazing Red Arrows at 18.50 hrs and on Friday 14th August at 19.10 hrs spectators can enjoy an RAF Typhoon display ahead of the spectacular firework finale at 21.30 hrs. For the full entertainment guide see aamcowesweek.co.uk
Red Funnel’s Red Jet Hi-Speed passenger service whisks crew and spectators to the heart of Cowes in just 23-25 minutes from Southampton with departures running every 20 minutes at peak times. Late night/early morning services are also scheduled for those partying into the night and an enhanced service will operate on Sunday 16 August for the start of the bi-annual RORC Fastnet Race from Cowes to the Fastnet Rock, finishing in Plymouth.
Red Funnel also has the following exclusive offers and excursions in place for this year’s AAM Cowes Week.
Exclusive offers & packages:
1) In conjunction with South West Trains ‘Summer Promotion’, visitors can purchase an off-peak passenger day return to West Cowes from selected mainland rail stations including London Waterloo for just £30 per adult/£13 per child. Note: The offer excludes travel on 9, 15 and 16 August.*
2) For Ladies Day on Tuesday 11th August, Red Funnel has a special offer in place for those travelling to West Cowes from Southampton.
3) For Families Day (and throughout AAM Cowes Week), Red Funnel has family day return fares available for £31.90 – the fare is for 4 people, one of which must be an adult or a child.
4) Giant Ferris wheel – a Red Funnel Flyer package is available which includes a ride on the Red Funnel sponsored Giant Ferris Wheel overlooking the regatta and a day return fare to West Cowes. Tickets are available on departure from the Red Jet ticket office in Southampton - Adults £25.00, Children £15.00, Families £43.90 (up to 4)
To get in the party spirit, 30ml bottles of Prosecco and Goddard’s Isle of Wight ales have been added to the drinks menu on the Red Jet service and customers can keep in touch thanks to a free Wi-Fi service which is being introduced for the event.
For more information on Red Funnel’s AAM Cowes Week timetable and Red Jet offers please see redfunnel.co.uk/cowesweek or call 023 8001 9192
1) ‘Cabaret Firework Cruise’ from Southampton: On Friday 14th August, Red Funnel is operating its hugely popular ferry excursion to watch the annual firework finale to AAM Cowes Week from just outside the entrance to Cowes harbour. Offering the best possible views of the spectacular firework display from 3 decks, there’s lots of entertainment to suit all ages including 80’s legend Timmy Mallet, a top DJ from Sam FM playing classic hits from the 80s, 90’s and 00s, a Pocket Jazz Band, a solo singer and a magician. There will be a wide range of delicious hot and cold food available to purchase together with an extensive drinks menu featuring Red Funnel’s special Regatta cocktail. The excursion departs Southampton at 20.15 and returns at approximately 23.15 hrs. Tickets are £26.50 Adults (16-59yrs), £21.50 Senior’s (60+yrs) and £13.00 Children (0-15yrs). Onboard parking is available for £10.00 and group prices are also available on request.
2) Firework ‘Spectacular’ from East Cowes: On Friday 14th August, an excursion to watch the fireworks will depart at 20.45 hrs, returning to East Cowes at 23.00 hrs. Offering amazing views from the harbour entrance, there will be DJ Darryll with hits from the 80s, 90s and 00s, the Jim Thorne trio and a magician on board to get everyone in the party mood. Food and refreshments including Red Funnel’s Regatta cocktail will be available to purchase. Guests will be able to watch the fireworks from 3 decks. Tickets are £15.00 Adults (16-59yrs), £12.50 Senior’s (60+yrs) and £7.50 Children (0-15yrs). Onboard parking is available for £5.00
Special coach pick-ups for this excursion (operated by ALS Travel) are available to pre-book from Ventnor, Shanklin, Sandown, Ryde and Newport priced at £5.50pp return.
3) RORC Rolex Fastnet Race: On Sunday 16th August, Red Funnel is running a Red Jet excursion to watch the start of RORC’s famous Rolex Fastnet Yacht Race which sees crews race the 600 miles from the start line off Cowes to the Fastnet Rock Lighthouse off the southern coast of Ireland and back to the finish at Plymouth. Guests will witness the start of many of the competing classes from the outside deck of the Red Jet before catching up with the leaders on their way to Hurst Castle near The Needles. The excursion departs Southampton at 11.00 hrs and from West Cowes at 11.30 hrs, returning to West Cowes at approximately 14.00 hrs and Southampton at 14.35 hrs. Tickets are £20.00 per person.
For tickets and more information see redfunnel.co.uk/excursions or call 023 8001 9192.
*Terms & Conditions apply – see redfunnel.co.uk/railoffers for full details of this offer.