Following a successful trial in 2017, Hullabaloo is back, bigger and better for 2018 from 12-13 May. Covering an area the size of a theme park, Hullabaloo will help friends and families spend time outdoors exploring Sandown Bay which is full of delights and surprises.
Hullabaloo is a FREE Discovery & Exploration event held in Sandown Bay and is an unusual combination of the arts, sciences & heritage together with the madcap antics of carnival & seaside traditions
A vital element of Hullabaloo is its connection to its locality. It is a truly magical event created directly from the cultural, creative and environmental content of The Bay itself.
It aims to bring people together, through play & exploration: building sandcastles together; making new creations; learning about the environment we live in & discovering the fascinating world of natural science; watching weird & wonderful contraptions take over the roadway; planting seeds & sowing new ideas.
By bringing artists, creators, community groups & "ordinary people of all ages", together with scientists, engineers & businesses, this exciting weekend of discovery & celebration will engage thousands of people in a unifying, uplifting & unconventional way, helping to build relationships & find common ground amongst those who perhaps do not ordinarily meet.
The Headlining elements of Hullabaloo 2018 will be:
Soap Box World - Double ramp on the sea front complete with tannoy system and pit stops will be where up to 25 soap box teams will complete for titles; John Cattle's skateboard Club will teach skating; information about IW Hidden Hero John Aykroyd.
Makers' World – Demonstrations and stalls from a range of makers from boat builders and charcoal makers to high-tech makers such as Kitronics.
Science World - contributors to include The Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Biology Big Top, The National Poo Museum, Southampton University Science Buskers & Wonderstruck
Wheely World – contributors to include Cycle Circus, Jason Lane, Benjamin Gates Sound Sculptures, Shift It Wight Cycle Training, Island Bikeworks, Re-cycle IOW
The Support Acts will be:
- Carnival Parade – Shademakers UK will lead a parade of costumed performers & pimped up wheeled contraptions around the sea front location.
- Food World – Local food market together with attractive seating area and DJ
- Community & Craft World - local voluntary organisations together with craft stall will show off what they do on the IOW
- Play World – Kite making & Flying; Karl Longbottom, professional flyer; Furzehill Nurseries providing play activities for younger children; Lego Club
- Pirate World – The Shady Lady Ship & stage will be the backdrop for all kinds of weird and wonderful acts and goings on.
- Shademakers UK – Carnival Arts
- Eccleston George - Jason Lane -
- Kev F Sutherland will be sketching and creating cartoons of the event
- Katie Paterson's Sand Pail Mountains will built on the beach as part of a national art production
- Benjamin Gates – Sound Sculpture
- Liz Cooke - Flags
- Batala - Samba
- Cycle Circus
- Karl Longbottom - Kites
Getting to the Sandown Bay area is easy from Southampton when travelling via East Cowes with a car.