The bright blue Boathouse, on the edge of fashionable Seaview, is a characterful and comfortable seaside pub with nooks and crannies, in a marriage of modern and traditional styles. On summer days the doors open out to the surrounding patio and side garden and there’s live music on Sunday lunchtimes.
Known for its food, featuring local ingredients, the pub has won AA awards every year since reopening in 2011 for their great food and attentive service. Game and fresh shellfish and seafood are included when in season, and there’s an extensive daily specials board that features Sunday lunches. Plus there are lite bites, salads, pastas, rice dishes and platters and pub classics, sandwiches and ciabattas.
A good wine list with plenty of information on each wine, the drink menu includes speciality whiskies too. Ales on tap are Doom Bar, Goddards Scrumdiggity and one guest ale, with Hoegaarden and Guinness too. Lagers are Fosters Amstel and Birra Moretti.
The interior is cosy in the winter and airy in the summer, with nauticalia style décor that includes a whole vintage rowing boat in one corner. Once the watering hole for the soldiers of the adjacent Puckpool battery, this is now a stylish gastro pub just a stone’s throw from the beach.
Upstairs are boutique bed and breakfast rooms with white, cream and blue décor and fab far reaching views across the Solent. The Boathouse is one of a chain of three Island pubs that include The Fishbourne Inn and the New Inn.
Selections from the menu:
- Tender pan fried chicken livers and bacon in onion gravy, with creamy whole grain mustard mash and minted peas £9.95
- Freshly steamed Mussels, cooked in cider and cream with bacon lardons served with chunky local bread £11.50
- Whisky and orange marmalade bread and butter pudding with vanilla custard £4.95 (v)
Lighter Bites and Nibbles
- Chefs homemade fish soup topped with Gallybagger cheese shavings, croutons and garlic mayonnaise £7.95
- Savoury brulee of goats cheese and basil, served with soldiers of toasted local bread £5.95
- Smoked salmon soused red onion mille feuille with lemon and dill cream £6.45
- Deep Fried Whitebait served simply with salad and buttered local bread £9.45
- Trio of our local butchers sausages with bubble and squeak, topped with crispy onions and served with a jug of gravy £10.95
- Chicken breast fillet cooked in Cajun spiced butter with our own beetroot and cabbage slaw, skin on chips and dressed salad £11.45
- Open sandwich of Mediterranean vegetables and melted mozzarella cheese with salad & our own house slaw (V) £7.25
- Pulled pork ciabatta dipper, served with a jug of pork jus, inspired by old town Chicago, served with salad & own house slaw £7.95
- Simply IOW crabmeat on thick cut bloomer with salad & our own house slaw £8.95