An award winning pub for over 15 years The New Inn at Shalfleet has been chosen for the Michelin UK Pub Guide for the past three years. Known especially for its food, with many awards for pub dining, it is a characterful village pub at the foot of Newtown Estuary.
The pub dates from 1743, with inglenook fireplaces, flagstone floors and oak beamed ceilings in the main bar area where you’ll often meet the locals having a pint. Ringwood Razor and at least two guest ales are on tap along with Green King IPA, London Stout, Dortmunder, Fosters, Heineken and Symonds Cider.
But the main focus of this pub is its food, which has always been consistently good. Fish dishes have become a focus, with The Seafood Royale sharing platter of lobster, crab and just about every fish and shellfish served in the summer months. All their local suppliers are listed in the menu and there’s a varied and extensive specials board, along with a good wine list and the speciality whiskies this small chain offer.
The latest owners who took over in 1997, and have sister Inns The Fishbourne and The Boathouse, have bolstered the New Inn’s reputation for good food, with the pub featuring in many magazines and Sunday supplements.
Outside are a few benches built into the side of the pub, behind is a raised deck garden with live music on summer evenings and the lane beside the pub leads to a lovely walk to Shalfleet Creek.
Selections from the menu:
- The seafood Royale - for two people £70.00
A large platter of locally caught lobster and crab, hot and cold fresh fish and shellfish served with lemon mayonnaise, IOW smoked garlic mayonnaise with citrus dressed salad and locally baked bread
- Homemade pie of the day made with local meats with short crust pastry served with vegetables and potato of the day and a jug of gravy £11.95
- Grilled courgette stuffed with cous cous, feta cheese and pine nuts, with a butternut squash puree £9.95
- Crisp battered halloumi with a tomato salsa, crushed peas with mint and blueberry balsamic vinegar £9.95
- Locally made sausages with whole grain mustard mash & our own beef jus, topped with crispy onions & served with vegetables of the day £10.95
- John and Brian’s locally landed and handpicked crabmeat with lemon mayonnaise £8.95
- New Inn CBT - pan fried chicken breast, smoked bacon and beef tomato with homemade mayonnaise £8.75
- Grilled goat cheese with homemade sticky red onion chutney £7.95
- Ploughman's £12.95
Award winning Isle of Wight blue cheese and Calbourne pork pie with our own pickled red onions, apple and homemade chutneys with rustic locally baked bread