Popular all day, from breakfast to evening, La Cantina, on Ventnor High Street, has an ‘industrial vintage’ vibe, and the menu is modern British with continental influence. Always busy, so do book, breakfast is served all day with snacks and main meals from midday.
With feature wall style wallpaper, cool moulded metal chairs, upholstered banquettes and sturdy stripped wood and metal tables. You can see your food being prepared in the kitchen, through the wood panelled bar, whilst reading a paper and chilling out.
Popular dishes are those that feature their own home made baked beans, including the vegetarian breakfasts and full English that includes both black and white pudding. Over a dozen breakfast dishes cater for the smallest or largest appetite. Many dishes on the main menu have a two size option, which is really handy – see website for menus.
They make bread and quiches in their nearby bakery, which are sold from a table in the window, and their freshly made pizzas are delicious.
There’s an amazing choice of soft drinks, teas and ‘Square Mile’ coffees, and you can buy Isle of Wight blended ‘Builders Tea’ to take home. A good cross section of European, New World and English wines including a Prosecco and a Champagne are on offer, the extensive cocktail menu includes a Marmalade Sour made with their own marmalade and there’s a great range of spirits, including speciality Vermouth wines.
Look out for a bigger Cantina to open Easter 2017 in the former HSBC bank in Ventnor!
Selections from the menu:
- Lemon, parsley, garlic, chilli, linguine, pan grattata £10.00
- Crabmeat, peperonata, pasta £12.50
- Spinach, bacon, taleggio pizza £6.00/£11.00
- Yellow roast tomato risotto £12.00
- Blueberries, meringue, white chocolate mousse, blueberry sauce £6.00
- Buttermilk panna cotta, strawberry salad, Tasmanian pepper £6.00
- Meat loaf, potato salad, chutney £11.00
- Beef & pork ragu with Chianti, tagliatelle £12.00
- Pear, gorgonzola, walnut pesto pizza £5.50 / £10.00