West Cowes, Isle of Wight - Passenger Ferry Terminal to Southampton
Fountain Yard, West Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO31 7AR
This is the terminal for our super-quick Hi-Speed Red Jet passenger ferry service to Terminal 2 in Southampton. If you have a vehicle, please use our frequent ferry service from East Cowes.
For details on parking in West Cowes, please see the 'Parking' tab below.
- Foot passengers - 5 to 15 minutes (peak times)
- From Newport: take the A3020 to West Cowes (allow 15 minutes) or the A3021 to East Cowes, crossing the river to West Cowes via the floating bridge (see below).
- From Ryde: Travel west on the A3054 to Newport, then A3020 to West Cowes or turn off the A3054 at the roundabout and take A3021 to East Cowes and cross the river using the floating bridge.
- From Yarmouth: Travel east on the A3054 to Newport and then take the A3020 to West Cowes.
Floating Bridge: Operates between East and West Cowes 7 days a week. Carries passengers and vehicles up to large vans, minibuses and pick-ups. Only 12 minute walk from Red Funnel's West Cowes terminal, 2 minute walk from the East Cowes terminal. Allow 15-20 minutes to cross.
Long-stay parking is available in Park Road, Mornington Road and Brunswick Road. Short-stay parking is available in St Mary's Road, Cross Street, the Esplanade and The Parade.
A Park & Ride facility is also available at Somerton on the A3020 - see the 'Bus' section for more details.
Coach parking is available in Ward Avenue.
There are limited spaces in Fountain Yard for dropping off or meeting passengers - waiting time is restricted to 10 minutes and is enforced 24/7.
- Connecting Bus Services - West Cowes
Frequent buses operate between West Cowes and Newport (Service 1) from where there are connections across the Island. Service 1 connects with Red Jet Hi-Speed arrival and departures, stopping right outside the terminal in Fountain Yard.
- Taxi Services
There is a taxi rank in Fountain Yard just outside the entrance to the terminal Please allow 15-20 minutes to travel between West Cowes and Newport.
To pre-book tel. 01983 329247 (Cowes Taxi Association).
- Water Taxis
Services can be pre-booked. They will pick-up from the water taxi berth adjacent to our terminal building.
- Cowes Harbour Taxis, tel 07855 767918 (VHF Ch 77 "Harbour Taxi")
- Sally Water Taxis, tel 07831 331717 (VHF Ch 06 "Sally Taxi")
- Folly Inn Launch, tel 07884 400046 (VHF Ch 72 "Folly Launch")
- Cowes Floating Bridge
Connects the towns of East and West Cowes for foot passengers and vehicles.
Operates: (subject to tides and navigation) Every 10 -15 minutes, 18 hrs per day, 365 days a year. First Sailing: 0500 hrs Mon- Sat (0635 hrs Sun), Last Sailing: after midnight (approx 0025 hrs). Tariff: £1 return. Tel. 01983 293041
Many of the listed operators above will meet Red Funnel customers upon arrival at West Cowes.
- Bus stop (Southern Vectis service 1 to/from Newport )
- Passenger drop-off area
- Taxi rank
- Visitor information
- Steam Coffee shop (hot & cold food)
- Top Gear Cycle Hire
- Cowes Yacht Haven & shops in High Street
- Fountain Inn (01983 292397), The Union Inn (01983 293163), OneFiftyCowes ( 07795 296399), Villa Rothsay Hotel (01983 295178), New Holmwood Hotel (01983 292508), Oakhill B&B (01983 247217), The Caledon Guest House (01983 293599), The Woodvale (01983 292037).