Southampton - Ferry Terminal to East Cowes, Isle of Wight
Terminal 1, Dock Gate 7, Town Quay Road, Southampton, SO14 2AR
Departing & Arriving Southampton
This terminal is open 24 hours and is for our passenger vehicle ferry services to East Cowes on the Isle of Wight. If you'd rather travel to West Cowes please walk the short-distance to Terminal 2 and catch our super-fast Hi-Speed Red Jet passenger only service.
For details on parking in Southampton, please see the 'Parking' tab below.
- Foot Passengers - 10 to 60 minutes before departure
- Vehicles - 30 to 60 minutes before departure
If you are checking-in to the Red Jet hi-speed foot passenger ferry please see check-in information here
Vehicles - tickets & check-in
Vehicle customers are requested to arrive 30-60 minutes prior to their booked departure time to allow for ticketing and embarkation checksIf you arrive early please click on the links for thing's to do in Southampton or in the vicinity of East Cowes as you will not be able to gain access to the port at busy times.
- If you have pre-booked you should be in possession of a bar-coded eTicket or booking reference. On arrival at the ferry port please present your eTicket or quote the reference number at the check-in booth. If you purchased attraction admission tickets they will be handed to you. Please display the windscreen hanger if issued. Premium customers will join dedicated lanes for priority loading.
- If the check-in booth is not manned please read the signs and join the appropriate lane - terminal staff will check-in your vehicle prior to boarding.
- Smartphone users who are My Red Funnel members can simply login and retrieve their booking - staff can simply scan the barcode on the screen.
- For passenger counting purposes it is very important that the number of adults, children and infants in your vehicle matches the number stored in our booking system - if different we will need to amend your booking before boarding.
- If you don't have a reservation we may still be able to carry you - a booking will either be made at check-in or alternatively you will be directed to park in a specific lane so you can visit the ticket office or use the internet PC's to make a booking.
- Online bookings are possible up to 90 minutes before departure; telephone bookings (tel. 0844 844 9988) can be made up to 30 minutes before sailing.
- If you miss your booked sailing or the size of your vehicle is different to that booked you may have to pay an additional fee. Ideally, please phone 0844 844 9988 before you arrive so we can amend your booking - this helps prevent delays to sailings at busy times.
- Ticket & booking office
- Self-service ticket machines for passenger tickets
- Visitor information
- Cash machine
- Steam Coffee shop (hot & cold food, newspapers & magazines)
- Comfortable waiting area with sofas, tables & chairs and real-time travel information
- Free WiFi
- Outdoor summer barbecue
- Luggage trolleys
- Acclaim Parcel drop-off and collection point
- Accessibility - suitable for wheelchairs (several available), handrails provided on ramped entrances & walkways, disabled toilet facilities, assistance available
Sat Nav: SO14 2AR
Approaching from the West
- Exit the M27 at Junction 3.
- At the roundabout, take the third exit onto M271 (follow the brown visitor signs to WestQuay & Waterfront) for 1.72 miles (2.77 km)
- At the roundabout, take the first exit onto Redbridge Road for 0.49 miles (0.79 km)
- Continue onto Millbrook Flyover (A33) for 0.37 miles (0.60 km)
- Continue onto A3024 for 1.62 miles (2.61 km)
- Bear right onto West Quay Road (A33) for 0.81 miles (1.30 km) - you'll pass IKEA on your left
- At the roundabout (with the Grand Harbour Hotel to your left and the Holiday Inn to your right), take the second exit onto Town Quay Road (A3057) for 0.21 miles (0.34 km)
- If travelling with a vehicle please take the next right (signposted Red Funnel Terminal 1, Dock Gate 7). For foot passenger pick-up or drop-off please continue for 0.09 miles (0.14 km) and take the second right turn onto Town Quay
From Midlands and the North
- Exit M3 at Junction 14 onto the A33 (West) following signs to Docks for approximately 5 miles.
- At the roundabout, take the second exit onto Bassett Avenue (A33) for 0.82 miles (1.32 km)
- At the roundabout, take the first exit onto Bassett Avenue (A33) for 0.32 miles (0.51 km)
- Continue onto A33 for 1.36 miles (2.19 km)
- At the roundabout, take the second exit onto Dorset Street (A33) for 0.41 miles (0.66 km)
- At the roundabout, take the third exit onto East Park Terrace for 0.36 miles (0.58 km)
- Continue onto Palmerston Road for 0.22 miles (0.35 km)
- At the roundabout, take the second exit onto Queensway for 0.39 miles (0.63 km)
- Turn right onto Briton Street for 0.10 miles (0.16 km)
- Turn left onto High Street for 0.10 miles (0.16 km)
- At the Traffic Lights: -
- - if taking a vehicle on the ferry turn right (our terminal building is directly in front of you) and continue along Town Quay Road for 0.09 miles (0.14 km). Take the first left turn immediately after the signalled pedestrian crossing (signposted Red Funnel Terminal 1, Dock Gate 7)
- - if picking-up or dropping-off ferry foot passengers drive straight ahead, the terminal entrance for passengers is immediately on your right.
From the East
- Exit M27 at Junction 5
- At the roundabout, take the first exit onto Stoneham Way (A335)
- After approx 1 km turn left at the junction onto Thomas Lewis Way (A335)
- After approx 3 km (A335) keep left at the fork, following the A335
- Continue along Onslow Road (A335) for 0.30 miles (0.48 km)
- At the traffic lights go straight ahead and then bear left onto Dorset Street (A33) for 0.10 miles (0.16 km)
- At the Charlotte Place roundabout, take the second left onto Saint Andrew's Road and follow the A33 for 0.22 miles (0.35 km)
- At the major junction, turn right onto Kingsway (A33) for 0.21 miles (0.34 km)
- Continue along St Mary's Place (A33) for 0.19 miles (0.31 km)
- Bear left onto Evans Street (A33) for 0.10 miles (0.16 km)
- Keep in the right hand lane and follow Marsh Lane (A33) for 0.10 miles (0.16 km)
- Drive straight ahead at the next two traffic signalled junctions and on to Terminus Terrace (A33) for 0.12 miles (0.19 km)
- At the junction, turn right on to Platform Road (A33) for 0.17 miles (0.27 km)
- At the Traffic Lights: -
- - if taking a vehicle on the ferry continue along Town Quay Road for 0.09 miles (0.14 km). Take the first left turn immediately after the signalled pedestrian crossing (signposted Red Funnel Terminal 1, Dock Gate 7)
- - if picking-up or dropping-off ferry foot passengers turn left, the terminal entrance for passengers is immediately on your right.
Triangle Car Park
Sited within 5 minutes walk of the terminal, the 270 space Triangle car park holds the Safer Parking Scheme ParkMark® and has full CCTV coverage. Auto Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) is also in use. It is not possible to pre-book so please pay on arrival at the car park either by credit/debit card, ticket machine or by mobile phone. The address is Cunard Road, Southampton SO14 3QN, UK
Ocean Car Park
Ocean Cark Park is a modern six level 776 space long-stay car park with a Safer Parking Scheme ParkMark® in recognition that the owners, management and the police have worked together to achieve safe, reactive and high standard of parking.
There is limited short-term pay & display parking at the end of Town Quay but to avoid being clamped and heavily fined by the operator please don't use restricted bays.
Other car parking options
not-permitted) and in Eastgate Street (709 spaces).
There is extensive cycle parking close to the terminal on Town Quay and a number of parking bays for scooters/motorbikes at the front of the teminal building.
There is bus stop immediately outside the main passenger entrance. Red Funnel's Quayconnect shuttle bus operates between Southampton Central rail station via the city centre with stops at Asda (closest stop to Southampton's National Express coach station) and the WestQuay shopping centre. More about Quay Connect buses
There is a small taxi rank right outside the entrance to Terminal 1 and a larger rank outside Terminal 2, just a few minutes walk along Town Quay. Taxis can also pre-booked from these local firms: -
|West Quay Cars||tel. 023 8099 9999|
|Radio Taxis||tel. 023 8071 9200|
|ATS Taxis||tel. 023 8022 2222|
|Streamline Taxis||tel. 023 8022 3355|
Our Red Jet Hi-Speed service to West Cowes and Hythe Ferries service to Hythe arrive and depart from Terminal 2, a short walk along Town Quay.
- Car park (Triangle & Town Quay car parks)
- Queens Park and Mayflower Park (kid's playground) - both good for dog walking
- Ferry service to Hythe
- Ocean and City cruise terminals
- Grand Harbour, Holiday Inn, Premier Inn & Hotel Mercure
- Ennios, La Regatta, Kuti's Royal Thai Pier & Oxford Street restaurant quarter
- Dancing Man, The Wellington & Platform Tavern pubs
- Steam Coffee Co, Starbucks & Mettricks cafés
- Co-op convenience store (High Street - 5 min walk)
You can navigate inside this terminal