Healthcare Travel Scheme
Healthcare Travel Scheme
Red Funnel's Healthcare Travel Scheme provides discounted foot passenger travel to eligible customers who have an NHS medical appointment in Southampton, or on the Isle of Wight.
A special return passenger ferry fare of £11 per person is available for the patient and a companion. Where the patient is a child, the discounted fare is available for up to 2 adults travelling with the child. Please note the fare applies to sailings from West Cowes and Southampton T2 after 08:45, although exceptions may be made for earlier appointments.
How to take advantage of the scheme
To see if you are eligible for our hospital visit rate check the criteria below. If you are eligible you can claim the special rate at our ticket office. You simply need to bring your hospital appointment letter/card and proof of your address to our ticket offices at West Cowes and Southampton T2 to purchase your ticket(s).
Eligibility for Travel
- A fare of £11 per person will be charged for the patient and a companion attending an NHS appointment or for NHS treatment under a named NHS consultant.
- The fare is only valid for outbound travel on the day of the treatment or procedure and travel is not permitted before 08:45 hrs unless, at Red Funnel’s discretion, the appointment time requires the patient to travel earlier.
- The fare normally applies to Day Return journeys for outpatient treatment but may be extended (for example for in-patient treatment) if the patient can prove that an overnight stay is required.
- To claim the rate you must present your appointment letter/card from the hospital along with proof of your address that matches the appointment card. Proof of address could be either driving license, passport, household or council tax bill.
- Please note the following are excluded from the scheme: -
- Patients attending for treatment privately - Patients attending treatment at a private hospital,
- Patients attending appointments with GPs, pharmacists, dentists or opticians
- Patients in receipt of benefits which would entitle them to claim under the Hospital Travel Costs scheme
- Retrospective claims
Please Note: If you need to remain in your vehicle during the sailing you will need to contact our Customer Services team once you have been issued with a code.
If you have difficulty uploading your supporting documents or completeing the form, please contact us and we'll be happy to assist you. Our opening hours are between 09:00 - 16:00, Monday to Friday.