Protecting the Environment
It’s our responsibility as individuals and as a business to tackle climate change. Red Funnel has pledged to reduce our environmental footprint by reducing air pollution, single-use plastics and wasteful packaging whilst supporting recycling and other sustainable travel initiatives.
Hot Drink Cups
We are actively searching for a solution to single-use hot drink cups. We also have travel mugs for sale made from 100% recyclable material - you get your first drink for free!
The 7,800 litres of used cooking oil that we produce each year is returned to the oil supplier for conversion to biodiesel or for use in making animal feeds and commercial soap products.
Single Use Plastics
We are exploring ways to eliminate remaining single use plastic items such as milk and sauce sachets and soft-drinks bottles.
We have pledged to source paper from sustainable forests and recycle at least 20% of our waste (e.g. paper, cardboard, batteries and fluorescent light tubes) via our approved waste disposal companies. We are working hard to improve this further.
New chiller units have been installed on the ro-pax fleet which use the refrigerant R449A. This has zero Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) and low Global Warming Potential (GWP). The new R449A powered units provide a 63.8% reduction in GWP and 64.4% reduction in CO2 across the fleet.
We have already started replacing our terminal vehicles with new electric models. And, we are encouraging you to think along the same lines by offering a 25% ferry discount for pure electric cars and small vans if booked before the end of this year, for travel up to 31 December 2023.
Filament and fluorescent bulbs are being steadily replaced across the business by low energy LED bulbs. We also have plans to install solar panels at our terminals in the future.
We have launched a major campaign to encourage more drivers to switch off their engines whilst waiting to board or disembark from our ferries. The aim is to reduce harmful emissions and improve local air quality. There's also the added benefit of saving drivers money.
The Company objectives are to:
- Comply with the requirements of the company Integrated Management System;
- Avoid damage to the environment, in particular, the marine environment;
- Establish safeguards against all identifiable environmental risks;
- Continuously improve environmental management skills of personnel;
- Have a commitment to continual improvement;
- Have a commitment to prevention of pollution;
- Have a commitment to comply with relevant environmental legislation and any other selected requirements.
These objectives will be achieved by:
- Identification of environmentally significant impacts of the organisations operations and the imposition of management system controls for these;
- Implementing and complying with requirements of ISO 14001:2015;
- Motivating respect, responsibility and concern by employees for the environment.
All employees are reminded that they are expected to comply with Safety and Pollution Prevention Regulations and Procedures at all times, and to take necessary precautions to protect the environment.
The EMS is applicable to all vessels, all terminals, and the headquarters building.