Wouldn’t you love to be a racing car driver for one day? That’s just what you can be at Wight Karting where the whole go karting experience is taken up to top notch – you even get to wear a race suit and your lap times are all recorded.
Arrive, fill in all your details on the computers and get your photo taken. You pay for as many 10 minute sessions as you wish, pick a race suit from the locker room and wait in La Babalu café.
When your face appears on the big screen, go to the Briefing Room and get a lowdown on how to drive the car and all the rules. They’re pretty strict - if you’re under the influence, you don’t drive.
Helmet and hairnet on, or you can buy a branded balaclava. You’re allocated a car and you’re off! Junior cars (8-11yrs) are green and go up to 25mph, everyone else gets an orange kart but those for 12 to 16s can’t go over 35mph. Those over 16 can go at up to 48mph.
The Marshall gives you a trial lap first and the timing starts as soon as you pass under the ‘loop’. In the fastest cars you might get about 18 laps in your ten minutes and travel about 4 ½ miles. Friends and relatives can watch from the tables on the café balcony.
You’re given your lap times, with your fastest in black. Then compare yours to the fastest of the day, week and month. Join the Drivers Club and you could win a free race. Or you could book an F1 group event - the winning team gets a trophy.
An amazing day awaits your special little racers at Wight Karting Junior Track Days!
Available for 8 to 15 year olds, this event takes place on
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 18, 19 & 20 February from 10:00 to 14:00,
Tuesday and Wednesday 9 & 10 April and Monday to Friday 15 to 19 April form 09:00 to 13:00.
- Parents accompanied registration: permission/dietry/medical/photo forms completed
- Parents depart and drivers suit up and intro's
- Track orienteering and warm up session
- Safety Briefing, helmet and glove fitting
- Track session 1
- Classroom assessment of laptimes and techniques
- Track session 2
- Improvements and learning programme commences
- Track session 3
- Qualification of 'Adrenaline Junkie' standards certificates
- Medals and lunch served from La Babalu Diner
- Parents to collect
Buy here (see separate tab below) and phone to book in on 01983565366 stating drivers age & Red Funnel Ticket receipt number
- open as per the calendar
- generally opens at either 10:00 or 15:00 - please check the calendar on the left for specific days and times
- 1 hour before closing time
- free car parking available
- fully wheelchair accesible
- disabled toilet facilities
- assistance dogs are welcome
- children aged 8 and over can enjoy the adrenaline fuelled race adventure
- baby changing facilities
La Babalu Cafe
- serving hot and cold drinks, cakes and snacks
We hope you enjoy your visit and don't forget to tweet a pic
( @RedFunnel @WightKarting)
- please note that although booking is not required, it would be advisable to call first to avoid a wait or disappointment and that no events are taking place on the circuit - please telephone 01983 565366. For large groups please telephone to pre-book
- standard membership is required for all drivers, usually charged at £3 each, but FREE of charge for tickets bought via Red Funnel. To be completed on arrival
- full safety briefing and equipment provided including helmet, suit and gloves
- please wear shoes or trainers NOT SANDLES OR FLIP FLOPS
- each race heat session is 10 minutes in duration. Please allow 30 minutes per session
- all drivers will receive a personal performance print-out
- 'La Babalu' Diner offers exeptional Clubhouse hospitality and has WiFi
- if you revisit within 7 days of your first visit, you will be offered a 5% discount on sessions between 9am and 12 midday!
Wight Karting Address: Westridge, Brading Road, Ryde, Isle of Wight, PO33 1QS