Ryde | 1770s | Period: Georgians
The town of Ryde dates from the Regency and early Victorian period.
There were originally two villages: Lower Ryde by the seashore, and Upper Ryde, which straggled along the line of the present High Street for about ½ mile inland.
Fashionable villas began to be built before 1800. The main landowner was William Player. He laid out what is now Union Street in 1780. This linked the two villages, but little was built along it until 1810 when restrictions against long-term leases were ended. The Player Estate was split, and by the mid 19th century two families, the Linds and the Brigstockes, owned much of the town between them.