BP Oil Terminal & Jetty

Each day, 25,000 barrels of crude oil is pumped here under Southampton Water by pipeline from BP's Wytch Farm onshore oil field in Dorset - a distance of 91km. Here, it is stored in 5 giant tanks, each with a capacity of 22,000 tonnes before being exported by ship approximately every 10 days.

The fuel terminal was opened in 1924 and in 1944 was used to supply PLUTO, a WW2 undersea fuel pipeline from Sandown to Cherbourg that aided the Normandy invasion.

Crude oil from the Wytch Farm oil field is exported from here in oil tankers up to 120,000 tonnes. The jetty was extended in 1943 to accommodate more ships and further improved in the 1980's to handle the import of aviation fuels in tankers up to 20,000dwt.