Travelling to the Isle of Wight is easy for passengers arriving at Southampton Airport or one of the many airports serving the wider South East region. There are flights to Southampton from many UK regional airports and European cities such as Dublin, Paris, Geneva, Munich, Dusseldorf and Amsterdam. There's also excellent transport links to Southampton from London Heathrow (LHR), London Gatwick (LGW) and Bournemouth Airports (BOH).
Once in Southampton, you can travel by ferry with Red Funnel to the Isle of Wight either as a foot passenger or with a hire car or motorhome.
Connections from individual airports
Located 15 miles west of Southampton, Bournemouth Airport is easy to get to and from by road, rail and coach. Airlines serving the airport include easyJet and Ryan Air.
- By Car: The airport is situated adjacent to the B3073 exit of the A338. To get to Southampton follow the A338, join the A27 east and then M27 to junction 3, followed by M271 and then A35 to the city centre. Car Hire is available at the airport.
- By Bus: Yellow Bus (service 14) operates 7 days a week (7am until 8pm) between the airport and Bournemouth Station.
- By Taxi: The airport taxi firm, PRC Streanline Taxis serve Southampton - call 01202 373737 for a quote.
- By Rail: Bournemouth train station is 4 miles away - see Bus & Taxi for connection options.
- By Coach: National Express operate a direct service between Southampton and Bournemouth (approximate journey time 55 minutes) - see Bus & Taxi for connection options.
London Gatwick (LGW)
Located 28 miles south of London near Crawley, London Gatwick is the UK's second largest airport and has 2 terminals (North and South). The airport is served by most major airlines including Air Canada, Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, EasyJet, Ryan Air, Flybe, Norwegian, Swiss, Vueling and many others.
- By Car: Gatwick is linked to the M23 at junction 9. To get to Southampton travel north on the M23 to junction 8, then travel west on the M25 to junction 12, then M3 to Southampton. Approximate journey time: 2 hours. All the major car hire firms are at the airport and can either be booked in advance or on arrival.
- By Rail: There are some direct trains to Southampton operated by Southern Railways (approximate journey time 2 hours) or you can take a Southern train from Gatwick Airport to Clapham Junction and change to a South West Trains direct service to Southampton Central. Aprroximate journey time: 90 minutes.
- By Coach: There are direct National Express services between Gatwick and Southampton which take as little as 2 hours 11 minutes.
- By Taxi: From Gatwick Airport to Southampton's ferry terminals an official airport taxi will be in the region of £165
London Heathrow (LHR)
Located 15 miles west of London, Heathrow is the UK's largest international airport. It is easy to get to and from by road, rail and coach. Heathrow has 5 terminals and is served by all major airlines with the exception of some low-cost operators.
- By Car: located just off the M25, Terminals 1, 2, 3 are close to junction 4 of the M4 or junction 15 of the M25. If arriving at Terminal 4, follow signs to the M25 at junction 14. Terminal 5 has its own access road with easy access to junction 14 of the M25. To get to Southampton, either take the M4 to junction 11, then A33 south, joining the M3 at junction 6. Alternatively travel south on the M25 to junction 12, then M3 to Southampton. Approximate journey time: 90 minutes. All major car hire firms are based at Heathrow and can either be booked in advance or on arrival.
- By Railair: National Express operate a twice hourly rail-air coach service between all Heathrow terminals and Woking railway station (journey time 50 minutes). From Woking, there are frequent South West Trains services to Southampton Central station. Approximate journey time: 50-60 minutes.
- By Rail: Either use the Railair service referred to above and change at Woking OR catch the Heathrow Express service to London Paddington Station and then use the London Underground service to get to London Waterloo station. From here you can catch a direct South West Trains service to Southampton Central station which takes as little as 1 hour 11 minutes.
- By Coach: National Express operate regular scheduled services between Heathrow and Southampton. Approximate journey time 1 hour 50 minutes.
- By Taxi: From Heathrow to Red Funnel's Southampton ferry terminals a taxi typically costs in the region of £140.00
London City (LCY), Luton (LUT) or Stansted Airports (STN)
From Southampton Airport (SOU) it is really easy to get to the city centre by public transport. The airport has its own adjacent station (Southampton Airport Parkway) with the journey to Southampton taking around 10 minutes. On arrival at Southampton Central you will find the Quayconnect shuttle bus service which operates between the train station and the ferry terminals.
Southampton airport is just outside Southampton city centre and has excellent road and rail links. It is the fast-track airport of the south, serving over 47 European destinations.
- By Car: The airport is adjacent to the M3 and M27 interchange. For the city centre follow the A35 from junction 5 of the M27. Approximate journey time: 15-20 minutes.
- By Rail: Southampton Airport Parkway station is just 99 steps from the airport entrance. There are up to 3 trains an hour to Southampton Central. Aprroximate journey time: 7 minutes.
- By Bus: Unilink's (service U1C) operates a frequent service between the University, the city-centre and the airport. It runs every 15 minutes during the week and every 20 minutes at weekends and public holidays. First Group (service 14) operate an hourly service Monday to Saturday until 13:26pm and two additional services later in the day.
- By Taxi: Checker Cars is located in the main concourse opposite the arrivals hall and operates 24 hours a day.
Arriving in Southampton by Public Transport
The FREE Quayconnect Shuttle Bus connects Southampton's Central Rail Station (short walk from the coach station) to Red Funnel's ferry ports for IoW ferry sailings to East and West Cowes. Alternatively, there is a taxi rank at the station for the 5-8 minute journey to the ferry terminals. It's about a 12-15 minute walk.