Gender Pay Gap Report 2021
What are our figures?
Red Funnel Group gender pay gap and gender bonus gap figures relating to the snapshot date of 5th April 2021:
- Our mean gender pay gap is 19.2% (2020 26.7%)
- Our median gender pay gap is 23.2% (2020 24.1%)
- Our mean gender bonus gap is 99% (2020 -5.4%)
- Our median gender bonus gap is 91.7% (2020 0.0%)
- The proportion of male employees receiving a bonus is 3.7% (2020 93.1%) and the proportion of female employees receiving a bonus is 4.7%. (2020 96.1%)
Please find below the Red Funnel Group pay quartile percentages (number of employees in each):
Please find below the Red Funnel Group pay Female/Male quartile distribution since the start of the GPG reporting in 2017:
The figures set out above have been calculated using the standard methodologies used in the Equality Act 2010 (Gender Pay Gap Information) Regulations 2017.
- 18% of UK seafarers active at sea in 2021 were female.
- 4% of Certificated Officers were female.
- 51.14% of seafarers active at sea in 2021 were female (a significant increase of 27.02% from 2020).
- 6.89% of Certificated Officers were female (slight decrease of 1.11% from 2020).*
The band/quartile percentages divide the workforce into four equally sized groups based on their hourly pay rate, with Band A being the lowest paid 25% of employees and Band D covering the highest paid 25% of employees. In order for there to be little or no gender pay gap, there would need to be the same ratio of men to women in each quartile. An organisation with a high ratio of men to women in Band D is likely to have a gender pay gap, as is an organisation with a high ratio of women to men in Band A. Red Funnel’s statistics show that there are a greater number of male colleagues in Bands D & C and a greater number of female colleagues in Categories A & B. Furthermore, it can be stated that those in Band D are typically long-serving males of 15 years or more and are all active at sea.
Red Funnel’s gender bonus figures include 14 bonuses paid under the GEM Award Scheme (Going the Extra Mile) and Red Funnel’s Suggestion Scheme - of these, 57.14% were paid to females. However, the gender bonus figure also included a small number of annual bonuses paid to colleagues for meeting agreed KPI’s as part of their overall contractual remuneration package. It is therefore important to note that as Red Funnel was severely impacted on the snapshot date in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of colleagues meeting KPI’s was lower than usual and therefore, the overall mean (average) gender bonus gap was not a true reflection of a typical year and our metrics were subsequently distorted.
- Hybrid Working Model Trial: In November 2021, Red Funnel introduced a hybrid working model trial for office-based employees to spend between 40% and 60% in the office per week, working remotely for the remainder. This includes the potential for flexibility in working hours as well as location. Any employees wishing to deviate from this trial can, as before, submit a Flexible Working Request.
- Recruitment Workshops: In February 2022, Red Funnel held a series of Management Training sessions on ‘Inclusive Recruitment’ including modules on unconscious bias, protected characteristics and re-affirming processes to ensure equality & diversity within our recruitment processes, which includes diverse interview panels and flexibility i.e. virtual interviews.
- Introduction of HR Clinics: In February 2022, Red Funnel introduced regular lunchtime HR Clinics on both the Isle of Wight and mainland Southampton to discuss any HR or Learning & Development queries directly.
- Menopause Policy: Our Menopause Policy has been drafted, setting out the rights of employees experiencing menopausal symptoms; signposting the support available and offering awareness to others within the organisation. Furthermore, Red Funnel is introducing ‘Menopause Champions’ who are open to sharing their own experiences in order to support others.
- Re-launch of Wellbeing Wednesday: In January 2022, Wellbeing Wednesday was re-launched covering the four key wellbeing pillars (physical, emotional, financial and social) including content from national awareness news i.e. Zero Discrimination Day to what’s happening locally at Red Funnel.
- Mental Health Awareness: Red Funnel is launching a series of one-day Mental Health Awareness sessions starting in March 2022 across all areas of the business, in addition to the Mental Health First Aiders already trained within the organisation.
- Job Shares: Red Funnel welcomes Flexible Working Requests from employees wishing to explore the possibility of a job share arrangement; several such arrangements have already been agreed in 2022.
- Talent Management: Red Funnel’s dedicated Learning & Development Advisor is available to discuss incentives such as Leadership Development, Apprenticeships and Mentoring. In addition, Red Funnel’s Talent Management plan explores areas such as succession planning, performance management, employee retention, and building ‘talent pools’.
- Transparency: In addition to the mandatory gender pay gap report required by law, Red Funnel made the decision to publish the accompanying narrative report offering an analysis of our metrics, identifying areas for improvement and providing an action plan to reduce the identifiable gap. By being proactive and acknowledging this gap exists, demonstrates Red Funnel’s commitment to equality.
I confirm that our data has been calculated according to the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 (Gender Pay Gap Information) Regulations 2017.
Fran Collins, CEO Red Funnel