Luggage, Pets & Bicycles
Carriage of Luggage, Bicycles & Pets
We aim to make travelling with heavy luggage, pets or a bicycle as easy as possible.
Our staff are there to help, particularly if you are elderly or frail so please just ask if you require assistance.
Luggage trolleys are available for passenger use and can be found at the top and bottom of the foot passenger gangway. As they cannot travel on the ship, luggage must be carried onboard by hand. Please ask staff if you require assistance. Larger quantities (e.g. transferring coach passenger luggage) or bulky items can be carried on the Vehicle Ferry parcel service. Please also see read the section on the carriage of Dangerous Goods.
Carriage of Bicycles
Cycles are carried FREE on the Vehicle Ferry service but the rider must be in possession of a valid foot passenger ticket. Please report to terminal staff upon arrival and they will give instructions on where to wait and then when to board. Ship's staff will direct cyclists whilst onboard - cycle storage is available in the covered forepeak areas of each ship.
Carriage of Pets
Red Funnel welcomes pet owners on board its services and makes no charge for the carriage of dogs or pets carried in RSPCA approved cages or containers.
However, ferries can be busy and often unfamiliar places for dogs so their carriage between Southampton<>East Cowes is subject to the rules below. Dogs can remain inside a vehicle during the crossing (recommended) or accompany a responsible adult to the designated pet areas on A Deck.
Dog owners are legally responsible for their pet whilst on board so to avoid incidents and complaints from other passengers: -
- Dogs must be restrained by a harness/collar and lead at all times.
- They must not be allowed to interfere with other pets, passengers or crew.
- They are only permitted in the designated areas marked onboard - for food hygiene reasons, they are not allowed near any food areas.
- They must not be allowed to occupy a seat or climb over seats - you may want to consider bringing a floor blanket for them.
- Drinking water is available on A deck
- A £50 cleaning charge (to be paid at the time) applies if a dog fouls whilst onboard. To allow for 'calls of nature', we recommend you allow sufficient time to exercise your dog before boarding the ferry (there are suitable areas within a short walk of both ferry ports).
We strongly advise owners of aggressive or nervous dogs which can be behave erratically in an unfamiliar environment or when in close proximity to other dogs or people to either fit a muzzle or leave the dog in the vehicle during the voyage – please remember you are legally responsible!
When leaving a dog inside a vehicle please make sure the windows are left slightly ajar to aid ventilation, particularly in hot weather. The ship’s crew do patrol the ventilated car decks for the duration of the voyage.
Failure to adhere to these guidelines may result in our refusal to permit future travel.