Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort worshipped at St Mildred’s Church in Whippingham and Albert redesigned the church building, which has quite a German style. Originally built by John Nash in 1804, the rebuild began in 1854 and was completed by 1861; sadly the year that Albert died.

Image credit: isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk


It was decided to rebuild the old church as it was just a carriage ride from Osborne, the summer home that Albert designed for his family.  Entrance to the church is thought a fine lynch-gate that was given by Queen Victoria.

Many of the Queen’s household are buried in the churchyard, along with the parents of Earl Mountbatten of Burma, Prince Philip’s grandparents. Near the north wall is the grave of Uffa Fox, famous boat designer and yachtsman, who taught Prince Philip to sail.

Inside the church is in a cruciform shape with the Royal Pew is to the right of the chancel and the Battenberg Chapel, where the household worshipped, to the left. This is now a memorial to Prince Henry of Battenberg the husband of Queen Victoria’s youngest child Princess Beatrice.

An elaborate memorial to Albert is on the west wall, as are those to Princess Alice, Prince Leopold and other children and grandchildren. A font at the west end was given by Queen Victoria in the 1860s, and designed by Princess Louise, the Queen’s fourth daughter.

The lantern tower in the centre can be viewed by a large mirror and the transepts have rose windows based on those at Notre Dame Cathedral.