Nearby land was granted to the bishops for the quarrying of stone for Winchester Cathedral, and Binstead was a thriving community serving the limestone quarries. The original Quarr Abbey was built from this stone by Baldwin de Redvers in around 1132.
The stone was exhausted by the late 13th century and after the dissolution of the Abbey in 1536 the church was little used. In 1843/4 the Norman nave was demolished and a new nave, south porch and vestry built. In 1875 the north wall of the nave was given a four-bay arcade, the north aisle was built under a lean-to roof, and the present bell cote replaced the Victorian one.
The herringbone masonry of the chancel walls is Norman and the pointed windows in the south and east walls of the chancel are early 14th century. Carvings on the keystones of the west windows of the nave including a griffon, the insignia of Baldwin de Redvers, may have come from the ruined Abbey.
In 1969 the nave was damaged by fire. A Lawrence Lee stained glass window in the nave and two in high west windows, including a design of a phoenix rising from the ashes, commemorate the church’s recovery.