Don’t mistake the model village in Godshill as purely a children’s attraction because this vintage gem is an amusement for all ages. Set in a garden full of stunning coarse bonsai trees, you will love this 1/10th model of the village of Godshill and Shanklin Old Village and Chine.
Godshill Model Village is a world within a world. If you stand in the right spot in the garden you can see the real church towering above you, the model church with the congregation singing in the aisles from within its tiny stained glass windows and then the model of the model church…and so on.
Children love to peer into the cute shops of Shanklin Old Village and follow the path beside Shanklin Chine as it tumbles to the seashore, filled with more of those fabulous bonsai trees – they’ve won awards for these. On the seashore are the beach huts, pleasure boats and people enjoying their day in the sun – the pub is even open.
All of the houses, cottages, churches and pubs exist in real life and the models are exact replicas of these actual buildings, made with sand and cement so they weather as they age. They are even thatched just like the real thing using authentic materials and methods.
This replica dates from 1952, when Mr Dam built the Shanklin part in the vicarage garden – the vicarage now houses the shop and tearoom. Bought by Robin Thwaites in the late 1960s, it is now run by his daughter Penny and her husband Stuart.
Kevin McCloud of Channel 4’s Grand Designs said, “If you really do want to indulge in a uniquely Fifties Isle of Wight experience replete with bathing huts, vintage buses and a slower pace of life, then there is only one destination for you: Godshill Model Village”.
- open daily from 5 March until 28 October
- generally opens at 10:00 - please check the calendar on the left for specific days and times
- 30 minutes before closing time
- please use the public car park a short distance away, which is clearly signposted throughout the village
- the walk from the car park to the Model Village is only short but does involve a stretch of road with narrow pavement
- wheelchair access is available throughout the Model Village
- disabled toilet facilities
- assistance dogs are welcome
- children aged 2 and under are free of charge
- baby changing facilities available
The Nammet Hut
- on fine days the refreshment hut inside the Model Village is open
- great range of products to remember your visit by
We hope you enjoy your visit and don't forget to tweet a pic
( @RedFunnel @ModelVillageIOW)
Godshill Model Village Address: High Street, Godshill, Isle of Wight, PO38 3HH