The church and manor were made over to Quarr Abbey in 1140, in 1160 the monks added the north aisle, and a south aisle was added in the 13th century. In around 1299 a squat west tower was built and in about 1480 it was strengthened with huge buttresses.
During the 14th century paintings probably covered the walls, traces of which can be seen in the small Norman window in the north wall of the chancel. In the 1530s the aisle roofs were heightened and in the 17th and 18th century a ceiling was inserted and the walls whitewashed, obliterating the murals.
In Victorian times the roof timbers in the chancel were replaced and the choir stalls inserted and in 1866 the nave ceiling was removed and the present organ installed. There has been a close association with the Burma Star Association, to which one window is dedicated and the belfry has a peal of six bells.
The many memorials include a headless brass figure of Harry Hawles who fought at Agincourt in 1415. The churchyard has the grave of Elizabeth Wallbridge ‘The Dairyman’s Daughter’ whose intense transformational conversion to Christianity was extensively written about in the early 1800s.