Located at Niton Undercliff, St. Catherine's Lighthouse was built in 1838 by Trinity House, lit in March 1840 and automated in 1997. It is sadly no longer open to the public but still a vital service for shipping in the Channel as well as vessels approaching the Solent.

Tabs

With a light that can be seen for 25 nautical miles, St. Catherine's Lighthouse provides a crucial waymark for vessels navigating in the English Channel and a guide to vessels approaching the Solent. The lighthouse comprises a white octagonal tower and is now monitored and controlled from Trinity House's Planning Centre in Harwich.

The present tower was constructed in 1838 following the loss of the sailing ship Clarendon on rocks near the site of the present lighthouse. The station survived the Second World War but was hit by a bombing raid on 1 June 1943 which destroyed the engine house killing the three keepers on duty who had taken shelter in the building. They are all buried in the local cemetery at Niton village and a plaque in remembrance of them is displayed on the ground floor of the main tower - the damage caused by the bullets can still be seen today.