The original chapel has been extended southwards, to provide a manor chapel; westwards with an arcade of arches; and a tower was added in the 15th century. This contains a working clock installed in 1899 on the first floor, has six bells on the second, and there’s a fine view of the west Wight from the top on ‘open days’.
Windows of note are the six designed by Charles E. Kempe, five of which were given by George Arnold Hearn in memory of his father who emigrated from Chale to America, to make his fortune. Kempe’s windows, with their trademark peacock feather angel wings and rich dark colours were considered the best in Victorian times and even appear in Buckingham Palace.
Hearn also gave a new organ in 1899, dedicated to his daughter Grace. Many of items on the walls are memorials, including one to T.L. Waterworth who discovered a health-giving sulphur water spring in nearby Blackgang Chine.
Behind the main altar are sculptures representing the Paschal lamb and symbols of the four envangelists, and riddle-posts at the corners of the altar are surmounted by angels. The surrounding churchyard contains the graves of shipwreck victims, including those of the famous Clarendon.