The annual Newport Isle of Wight Jazz Weekend is one of the UK's most highly regarded small jazz festivals, attracting jazz fans and top-quality musicians from all around the world to play at over 25 gigs and events at various venues in Newport. This years festival is from the 1-4 June 2017.
The Newport Isle of Wight Jazz Weekend, now in its fifth year promises to be bigger and better. Featuring 16 different gigs spread over 4 days at various venues in the county market town of Newport, every style of jazz is featured so its a must for all jazz fans across the UK.
The event is non-profit making and is organised by local volunteers and musicians. Each year in addition to the main acts themselves there are workshops and free "fringe" events involving local musicians so you too can get involved.
Newport Jazz Weekend - 2017 Programme
Thursday 1 June
- Students and Tutors concert
- The Isle of Wight Suite - Nick Page Quintet
Friday 2 June
- Nate Najar Trio
- The Savoy Collection (from the Syd Lawrence Orchestra)
- Zoe Rahman
Saturday 3 June
- Jazz Brunch - Liz Fletcher Quintet with Alan Barnes and Nikki Iles
- Derek Nash Quintet with Martin Shaw
- Nigel Price and Vasilis Xenopoulos Quartet
- Nikki Iles and Stan Sulzmann
- The Alleycats with Gary Plumley, Martin Shaw and Derek Nash
Sunday 4 June
- Jazz Brunch - David Newton and Alan Barnes
- NYJO Big Band
- Jazz Dinner - Sandy Suchodolski Trio
- Liane Carroll trio
Getting to the Newport Jazz Weekend is easy from Southampton.
By car - catch the hourly vehicle ferry service from Southampton to East Cowes, the journey will take 55-60 minutes. Upon arrival, head south on Dover Rd following the A3021 and A3054, Fairlee Road to Newport. The journey will take about 15 minutes.
On foot - catch the Red Jet to West Cowes from Terminal 2 in Southampton, On arrival in West Cowes, Southern Vectis operate frequent buses from West Cowes to Newport (service 1). Taxis are also available outside the East & West Cowes terminals. For car hire, we recommend Enterprise - they will pick you-up from either terminal if you tell them your arrival time.