The Randonnee is a free non-competitive cycle ride established by the Wayfarers cycle touring club over 30 years ago. This year, it takes place on Sunday 6th May 2018 (Bank Holiday weekend). You can choose between a 55km or 100km route, travelling clockwise around the beautiful Isle of Wight.
- IW Randonnee has been running for over 30 years
- It's a family event on open roads. It's not a sportive or race.
- The event is FREE to enter
- Around 3,000 cyclists take part in the event each year
- You must pre-register online for the event to avoid queues on the day
- Start at East Cowes (or any of the other checkpoints on the day)
- The 100km route follows the round the island route in a clockwise direction
- The 55km event, geared more for families, follows a route on the East Side of the island, taking in Cycle Route 23 also in a clockwise direction
- All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult and participants under the age of 18 must have a signed parental consent form; the form is available here or from Randonee checkpoints
- Checkpoints are open 9am to 6pm - you can start at any time but please aim to complete the course by 6pm.
Follow this link to register for the IW Randonnee today - its FREE!
Choose between two routes
The 100km route will take you around the whole of the Isle of Wight mainly following the Round-the-Island cycle route and taking in minor roads and lanes where possible. It is way-marked by white bicycle on blue island signs. Each cyclist is given a Round-the-Island cycle route map with easy to follow directions to enable the rider to see the best of the Island scenery. You can join at any of the checkpoints.
The 55km Randonnee route follows the Round Island Route from East Cowes, through Wootton and Bembridge to Alverstone. It then joins NCN (National Cycle Network) Route 23 from Alverstone through Newport to East Cowes. Join at any of the 4 checkpoints (East Cowes, Wootton, Bembridge or Alverstone) and follow the diagram on the supplied Checkcard.
Bembridge to Wootton 10.5 miles
Wootton to East Cowes 4.8 miles
East Cowes to Yarmouth 16 miles
Yarmouth to Whitwell 19.16 miles
Whitwell to Alverstone 9. 9miles
Alverstone to Bembridge 5.7 miles
Total 66 miles
If you live on the mainland, taking part in the Isle of Wight Randonnee couldn't be easier.
We operate hourly vehicle ferry services from Southampton to East Cowes - the crossing takes 55-60 minutes so there's time to have a full English breakfast on board! At East Cowes the checkpoint is in our marshalling yard so you can start either the 55km or 100km routes from there.
It's FREE to take your bike on the ferry (Terminal 1) and you don't need to pre-book, you just need to purchase a special £10.00 IW Randonnee Day Return ticket (£5.00 for children) from the ticket office upon arrival. Please allow at least 20-30 minutes to buy your ticket - you will go board via the lower vehicle deck and the crew will let you know where to stow your bike.
On Sunday 6 May, we have departures from Southampton (Terminal 1) at: 05:45, 07:00, 08:00, 09:00, 10.00, 11.00 more...
There's plenty of parking in Southampton near Town Quay (Terminal 1) but if you wish to take your car on the ferry we have a special £45.00 IW Randonnee Car Day Return offer (valid 6/05/18) and a £62.50 IW Randonnee Car Short Break offer (valid for travel 04/05/18 to 11/05/18).
To book either of these car offers please see the booking engine below -