The Challenge starts at Chale, in the south of the Isle of Wight. For those travelling to the Island on Friday 28 April – there will be optional Camping at the Challenge 'Base Camp'. There are optional stuttle buses from the Red Jet ferry terminal in West Cowes to the Chale start location on both Friday evening (28th) and Saturday morning (29th).
The route has 4 stages of between 21-31 km, and a 'Rest Stop' at the end of each - with food & drink, medical teams and toilets. Between these there are additional 'Mid Point Stops' with snacks, drinks, toilets, & medical support. Where possible - we stick to the official Coastal Path.
See the Google map below and click for more details of the 4 stages.
Walk It - walkers will be making up the majority of the field, as this is an ideal event for anyone; from those taking on a long distance walk for the first time, to the harder core and keener trekkers looking for a new personal challenge. We anticipate walkers will aim to complete their challenge in the following time frames:
- Full Island in 20 - 34 hours (34 upper time limit)
- Full Island 2 day in 10 - 16 hours each day
- 1st or 2nd Half Island in 9 - 16 hours
- 1st or 4th Quarter Island in 4 - 6 hours
Jog It - for those looking to up their fitness and set a new personal goal, but without the pressure of being classified as a full on runner. So run a bit - walk a bit – or just keep jogging! Ideally you will aim to hit the times below, but of course you can revert to the walker time lines if needed.
- Full Island in 16 -20 hours
- Full Island 2 day in 8 - 10 hours each day
- 1st or 2nd Half Island in 8 - 10 hours
- 1st or 4th Quarter Island in 3 - 5 hours
Run It - runners have specifically signed up as such – and are up for a tough Ultra or to beat a personal best and go further than before! Runners get tailored menus at the rest stops and free baggage transfers for their small day pack (30L/10kg max) to the finish (+ to half way for Full Island). There will be trophies available for the male and female winner of the Full Island Challenge. We expect Runners to hit the following times:
- Full Island 9-16 hours
- Full Island 2 day in under 8 hours each day
- 1st and 2nd Half Island in well under 8 hours
- 1st and 4th Quarter Island in around 3 hours or less