St Catherine’s Lighthouse
On the southernmost tip of the Isle of Wight sits St Catherine’s Lighthouse, warning passing shipping of the rocks that sit below the water off shore with its large light and foghorn.
The current lighthouse was built in 1837 after the wreck of the Clarendon, and is situated a Niton Undercliffe, five miles from Ventnor.
It is a white octagonal tower with 94 steps up to the lantern and the main light, visible for up to 30 nautical miles in clear weather, is the third most powerful light in the Trinity House Service giving a guide to shipping in the Channel as well as vessels approaching the Solent.
There is also a disused stone lighthouse built on the top of St Catherine’s Down in 1323 by Walter De Godeton, which is now known as St Catherine’s Oratory or the Pepperpot.