Monkey Haven is a Gold award-winning charitable attraction that makes animals happy...and people smile. Visit the rescue centre and sanctury just outside Newport on Isle of Wight. You'll meet their wonderful family including whooping gibbons, mischievous monkeys, amazing owls, incredible reptiles and the naughtiest meerkats ever. Enter the park to find a tranquil environment where primates relax and play in spacious enclosures and various species of owl enthral visitors with their elegant appearance and peircing eyes. A visit to the Haven is a truly captivating and heartwarming animal experience for all. It's a special time for the Haven in 2016 as it's the Chinese year of the Monkey! In celebration, they are giving away a new booklet for children, entitled Monkey Puzzles, which takes visitors on a fortune cookie trail around the Haven. Plus there are free fortune cookies with every hot drink in Xhabu's Cafe.
The latest monkeys to be rescued by the Haven are arriving Easter time and are 4 Grivets, also known as African green monkeys, they are being brought from Spain after a traumatic start in life as victims of the illegal pet trade. Thanks to an appeal in 2015, the Haven has been able to build the fab four a lovely new home. Find out more about the plight of these rescued Grivet monkeys at the daily keeper talks.
Things to do
- Keeper talks: Daily keeper talks and informative guided tours are held at various intervals throughout the day and allow you to learn more about the different animal behaviours and personalities.
- Meet the owls: Get up and personal with Beau, Ketch and Rosie, the hand-reared owls at the daily bird talks and learn how they came to be in care.
- Xhabu's Cafe: The recently refurbished tea room now offers a wider range of light lunches and refreshments. Plenty of indoor and outdoor seating and an adjacent play area for the under 5's.
- Marmoset encounters: A unique experience allowing visitors an opportunity to hand feed and interact with some delightfully mischievous marmosets (advance booking is required and charge applies).
- Xhabu's Cafe
- Gift shop
- Two adventure play areas - under 5's and over 5's
- Wide paths - excellent disabled access throughout
- Free car parking
- Baby changing facility
Address and Directions
Address: Staplers Road, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2NB. Location: Situated along Staplers Road, in-between Lavender Farm and Butterfly World.