There's lots of fun for everyone at Monkey Haven, a primate rescue centre on the Isle of Wight that’s a happy home for monkeys, meerkats, birds of prey, reptiles and other exotic creatures. You'll love the daily keeper talks, animal feeds, trails, play areas, tea room and gift shop. This is the Island’s No 1 attraction on TripAdvisor and multi-award winning, recently scooping a top Gold in the Beautiful South’s awards for Excellence in 2016/17. Monkey Haven is a charity and all proceeds from admissions are used to care for creatures in crisis.
In time for Easter, the Haven are introducing an exciting Monkey Haven App where you'll be able to follow trails, collect virtual bananas and get sneaky peaks behind the scenes.
As the Keepers present their talks throughout the day they will be chatting about the similarities between humans and monkeys, with their shared personality traits and how the animals came to be at the sanctuary. Get up close and personal with hand-reared birds of prey and meet the gorgeous owls, learn too about the 'rescue and release' programme for injured birds. Meet Reptiles too such as a boa constrictor or a tortoise.
After you have giggled at the naughty marmosets and mischevious meerkats and listened to the whooping Lar Gibbons, why not have a reviving tea or coffee and snack in the refurbished Xhabu's Tea room!
In 2017, Monkey Haven will be introducing visitors to gorgeous new residents including Milan, a Squirrel Monkey rescued from the pet trade when an animal lover spotted her for sale on a Spanish website. She has multiple health problems caused by a lack of care and from being forced into inappropriate clothing, such as the flamenco dress that she wore for the online advert!
Things to do
- Keeper talks: Daily keeper talks and feeds throughout the day where you can learn all about the animals, their unique personalities and how they came to be at the sanctuary.
- Meet the owls: Get up close and personal with hand-reared birds of prey and you'll learn about the Haven's 'rescue and release' programme for injured birds.
- Meet the Reptiles: enjoy a visit from a boa constrictor or a tortoise.
- Xhabu's Tea Room: Offers a wider range of light lunches and refreshments. Plenty of indoor and outdoor seating and an adjacent play area for the under 5's.
- FREE Monkey Haven App: Ready for Easter, you can follow trails, collect virtual bananas and get sneaky peaks behind the scenens.
- FREE booklet of Monkey Puzzles for kids.
- Xhabu's Tea Room
- Picnic areas.
- Gift shop
- Two adventure play areas - under 5's and over 5's
- Wide paths - excellent disabled access throughout
- Free car parking
- Baby changing facility
- Free WiFI ready for Easter
Address and Directions
Address: Staplers Road, Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 2NB. Location: Situated along Staplers Road, in-between Lavender Farm and Butterfly World.