Isle of Wight Steam Railway
Welcome to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway
The Isle of Wight Steam Railway passes through five miles of unspoiled Island countryside between Wootton, Havenstreet, Ashey and Smallbrook, recapturing the days of the branch line railway. The perky tank engines and quaint, wooden-bodied carriages which were once such a familiar sight have been lovingly restored for the enjoyment of visitors and enthusiasts.
Take a ride behind one of the vintage steam locomotives for a special journey back in time. Breathe in the evocative smells of a real steam railway, while your eyes and ears thrill to the puffing and hissing of the steam engine. Settle back in beautifully restored Victorian and Edwardian carriages and enjoy a unique view of some of the Island’s unspoilt countryside or hop off at one of our stations and just watch the trains go by!
At Havenstreet you can get close to nature by taking a stroll in the Woodland Walk. Located within the woodland area is a performance stage which presents music, story telling, street theatre and entertainment on selected days and during some special events.
Blowing off steam in the Childrens Play Area is a firm favourite with the youngsters (must be supervised by an adult at all times).
Throughout the season there are many special events held including the exclusive "The Railway Folk" weekend and the end of July, Santa specials, music events, Wine and Real Ale Festivals and a Steam and Country summer Show!
Recently opened is a truly impressive visitor experience (open 17 March - 31 October), the Train Story Discovery Centre is a huge exhibition space, enabling the Railways impressive historic collection of locomotives, Victorian and Edwardian carriages and rare rolling stock to be available for visitors to enjoy at close quarters. There is a public access path through the Carriage and Wagon workshop and then it passes through the heart of the engineer's yard before giving new line side photography vantage points. for further details see here.Buy Tickets...
Trains run throughout the year, on some days in March; most days in April, May and June; daily July and August; most days in September and some days in October and December.
Events at the Railway
- Mother's Day Specials l 17 Mar 2016
- Easter Fun l 25 - 28 Mar 2016
- Island Steam Days l 2 Apr 2016
- Real Ale Festival l 30 Apr - 2 May 2016
- Antiques & Collectors Fair l tba
- IoW Festival of Transport l tba
- Island Steam Days l 12 Jun 2016
- Midsummer Nights Steam l 25 Jun 2016
- Fathers Day l 19 Jun 2016
- Evacuees Week l tba
- The 1940s Experience l 2 - 3 Jul 2016
- Island Steam Days l 10 Jul 2016
- Real Ale Train l 16 Jul 2016
- The Railway Folk l 31 Jul - 2 Aug 2016
- Victorian Weekend l 6 - 7 Aug 2016
- Jaguar Classic Car Show l 24 Jul 2016
- The 42nd Island Steam Show l 26 - 29 Aug 2016
- Carvery Night l tba
- Morris Minor Rally l tba
- Island Steam Days l 11 Sep 2016
- Wine Festival l 24 - 25 Sep 2016
- Island Steam Days l 9 Oct 2016
- Wizard Week l 23 - 30 Oct 2016
- Halloween Fright Night l tba
- The Poppy Train l tba
- Santa Specials l 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 21-24 Dec 2016
- Large FREE car park at Havenstreet Station.
- Toilet facilities at all three stations.
- Souvenir shop at Havenstreet Station.
- Fully licensed refreshment facilities offering snacks, drinks meals and light bites.
- Children's play area located within the refreshment area at Havenstreet.
- Steam Railway Museum located at Havenstreet.
For more information visit the
Isle of Wight Steam Railway website
Reviews of Isle of Wight Steam Railway
How to find us...
Isle of Wight Steam Railway, The Railway Station, Havenstreet, Isle of Wight, PO33 4DS.
View Larger Map