West Cowes, Isle of Wight
About West Cowes
The arrival point of the Red Jet Hi-Speed foot passenger service from Southampton; West Cowes is a favourite with everyone from families and couples to visiting yachtsmen from across the world, with Cowes Week being one of the most famous regatta's of the sailing world.
Cowes is located on the west bank of the River Medina, with the smaller town of East Cowes on the east Bank. The two towns are linked by a 'floating bridge, which is currently (Nov 2010) free for foot passengers and cyclists. A charge needs to be paid onboard for all vehicles and varies according to vehicle type.
The pedestrianised high street runs perpendicular to the Solent and the river Medina. The high street has a full range of shops and cafes/pubs/restaurants, with a weighting towards those with a nautical interest. There is everything from famous street brands to specialist chandleries, as well as some more quirky shops and galleries.
Explore with Google Streetview
View Larger Map
Things to do in West Cowes
- Cowes Week -one of the most famous sailing regattas in the world. Over 1,000 boats and 8,500 competitiors. Experience the fun and excitement of the racing and the events and festivities on shore.
- Shopping - the high street offers a great selection of shops, mainly geared towards a nautical nature, but also a number of quaint boutiques.
- Walk - Enjoy a stroll along the seafront, taking in views out across the Solent, and wander down to the yacht marina's of West Cowes. You could also take a trip on the floating bridge and visit East Cowes.
- Eating Out - West Cowes offers something for all tastes and budgets, from traditional English pubs and an array of restaurants, to fish and chip shops and take-away's.
- Cowes Maritime Museum - a small exhibition of maritime memorabilia depicting the yachting and shipping industry in Cowes. The museum is situated within Cowes Libray. Entrance is free of charge. (Contact the Isle of Wight Heritage Librarian, 01983 203880 firstname.lastname@example.org)
Map of West Cowes
View Larger Map