Bembridge, Isle of Wight
Bembridge is home to the Isle of Wight's last surviving windmill, which is now owned and managed by The National Trust. Originally built around 1700, the windmill last operated in 1913, and still contains all the original machinery. You can take a tour of the windmill and discover more about the milling process and its importance.
Situated at the most easterly point on the Island, the village of Bembridge has spectacular views across the Solent and the English Channel. With it's sheltered harbour, it is a popular base for sailing and watersports. The small harbour provides an air of constant activity with its multitude of fishing boats and pleasure craft coming and going. From the village, there is easy access to shallow beaches and rockpools offering safe bathing and hours of fun for the children.
The village itself offers an ecclectic mix of small shops, cafes, bars and restaurants; catering well to the needs of residents, visitors and regular sailors alike. Accommodation in Bembridge varies from traditional holiday parks and B&B's to houseboats for those looking for something a little bit different.
Bembridge Airport offers the only hard surfaced runway on the Isle of Wight, and as a result it is a busy little airport with regular comings and goings of light aircraft. The Aeroclub at Bembridge Airport is open to the public 7 days a week and offers snacks and lunches in its cafe, as well as comfortable seating and an outdoor terrace for sunnier days.
Explore Bembridge with Google Streetview
View Larger Map
Things to do in Bembridge
- Wander the village, browsing the shops and galleries and take in the atmosphere whilst enjoying a coffee and cake.
- Visit the beaches for a swim or let the children enjoy the rockpools and shallow safe waters.
- Visit Bembridge Airport for a snack or lunch and enjoy the buzzing atmosphere of this small but active airport.
- Relaxing on the beach on a sunny afternoon with an ice cream.
- Lunch in the Aeroclub at Bembridge Airport Enjoying the charming atmosphere of the airport.
Map of Bembridge
View Larger Map