How to book freight space
Accompanied freight vehicles and large vans should be booked in advance to secure ferry space, for dedicated deliveries we can block-book any size of vehicle up to 12 months ahead.
Please ensure you know your account number (if applicable), the preferred travel dates and times, the vehicle weight/length and details of any dangerous goods that must be declared. Charges are based on the vehicles total length and generally not its weight or height.
Booking confirmations are sent via email and drivers are requested to quote their booking reference number on arrival at check-in - the vehicles length will be checked and additional charges may apply if the booked length is exceeded. Any statutory documentation will be completed at this stage.
To comply with The Merchant Shipping (Dangerous Goods And Marine Pollutants) Regulations 1990, Dangerous, Toxic and/or Hazardous Loads must be declared at the time of booking and on Consignment Notes completed at check-in. A Dangerous Goods Declaration Note must also be Completed Prior to Shipment. See the Dangerous Goods section for permitted DG classes.
- Q. Do I need to make a booking?
- A. Yes, booking in advance is strongly recommended but it is possible to book on arrival, subject to availability of freight space.
- Q. What information is required to make a booking?
- A. Outward & Return travel dates/times, total vehicle length (inc tractor unit if applicable), payload, details of any dangerous goods, credit account number & purchase order or debit/credit card details.
- Q. Can freight be booked online?
- A. Vans/commercial vehicles up to 8m in length and 4.9m in height can be booked online. To book larger freight vehicles or make a booking amendment/cancellation please give us a call.
- Q. What time must I arrive for check-in?
- A. 30-60 minutes before departure (not more than 60 minutes at peak times)
- Q. Can trailers be shipped unaccompanied?
- A. Yes, partners Steve Porter Transport operate a just-in-time drop-trailer delivery service to supermarkets etc. Trailers are also returned to Southampton in accordance with a pre-agreed schedule.
- Q. Is it necessary to have an account?
- A. No, customers with adhoc shipments can make and pay for bookings using a debit/credit card by calling the Freight Centre - there are no credit card surcharges. Credit account facilities are available for frequent customers.
How to contact us
- t. 0844 844 2666
Red Funnel's dedicated Freight Centre and experienced account management team is unique.
We are committed to delivering an unrivalled level of service to freight customers.
Just give us a call, we are here to help and answer any questions you may have.