Isle of Wight Educational Visits
Your Isle of Wight School Trip
The Isle of Wight is an island of inspiration – and your 40km by 20km outdoor classroom. It has a long history of attracting scholars and innovators, including Robert Hooke, Charles Dickens, Karl Marx, Keats, Alfred, Lord Tennyson, Juliet Margaret Cameron and Marconi.
It's an outstandingly beautiful place to study, with Roman remains, a Royal Palace, a Castle that imprisoned a King… and lots of dinosaurs. There are many Sites of Special Scientific Interest just waiting to be explored, including dramatic Downs, forests, beaches and landslips.
Both the Isle of Wight and Red Funnel are geared up for school groups, with loads of great adventures to experience, excellent accommodation facilities, and discounts at attractions. Plus this is one of the sunniest spots in Britain, with palm trees, exotic plants and even our very own lizards. It feels like another world - but you’re just 2.5 hours from London.
So welcome to the Isle of Wight, it’s the smart choice for your educational trip.
Planning your school trip
With over 153 years’ experience operating ferries to/from the Isle of Wight, Red Funnel has unrivalled knowledge of what the Island has to offer school parties of all sizes. Our affordable packages for educational visits include access to key stage curriculum based resource packs for a wide range of topics including physics, science, literature, geology and geography.
We operate ferries 24/7, 365 days a year, from Southampton to East & West Cowes and our terminals have dedicated coach lanes with a check-in time of just 30 minutes. Onboard facilities include air conditioning, hot & cold food, café bars, free WiFi, toilets and sun decks. The Top-deck lounges have 65" screens and can be pre-booked as a floating classroom.
Please give us call as we will be only too pleased to answer any questions and help you get the most from your visit.
- The Isle of Wight has a fascinating history dating back from the last Ice age and beyond... so which era will you choose for your time travelling adventure?
- Where better to learn all about the Victorians than Queen Victoria’s much loved seaside palace at Osborne? The house was built for the Royal family and Prince Albert oversaw every detail, from the formal Italianate gardens, to the cradles in the nursery, and the bathing machine that still sits on the private beach.
- The Island is an inspiring place for budding scientists. There are nearly 50 Sites of Special Scientific Interest, which are notable for their exceptional fauna, flora, geological or physiographical features. In practice, this means that we have great beaches, lovely gardens, and amazing cliffs, Downs, bogs and forests!
- There is a thriving contemporary arts scene that students will enjoy tapping into. Exhibitions are regularly held across the Island in galleries and exhibition spaces including Quay Arts in Newport, a disused furniture warehouse and a working monastery.
- This is a fascinating place for geologists, who come here to study the unique features of the landscape including chines, landslips, stacks, wetlands, and our famous fossils…
- This is the UK’s dinosaur capital - and one of the best places in the world for dinosaur finds. Over 20 different species have been discovered along our beautiful coastline. It’s common to find small bones and although it’s much rarer, partial skeletons have bee unearthed by people just waalking on the beach.
- The Island is an unforgettable location for your students’ outdoor learning, sport, PE and enrichment. There are beautiful beaches and dramatic hills for you to run up and cycle down. Surrounded by water, this is also the perfect place for all kinds of watersports. There are great facilities, so you won’t need to sweat about the practicalities.
Our exclusive school day trip packages (based on 25+ students) include: -
1) Return foot passenger ferry travel from Southampton to East or West Cowes
2) Return coach/minibus transfers from the Island ferry ports to your destination
3) Admisison to the attraction/venue
4) Free school resource pack(s)
The itineraries below are just examples and we can easily design a bespoke day trip package to suit your needs or just provide group ferry rates if you prefer. Please give our staff a call as they will be only too pleased to answer any questions and help you get the most from your visit.
COASTAL TRAIL from £17 pp for a full day
- Covers several areas of the geography curriculum for key stages 1-5. Pupils can learn about coastal features including cliff formations at The Needles, the numerous chines along the south coast, erosion, long shore drift and the coastal defence schemes as well as hunt for dinosaur remains at Brook and Compton. The resource pack (available from June 2015) is ideal for extended study or project work.
Blackgang Chine from £23 pp for a full day
- Imagination: Set in over 40 acres of spectacular cliff-top gardens – you will find a magical mix of fantasy, legend and heritage at the UK’s oldest theme park.
Carisbrooke Castle from £11 pp for ½ day
Medieval: Experience the hair-raising history of life at Carisbrooke Castle. Best known as the place where King Charles I was imprisoned, students will love exploring this medieval gem and seeing the donkeys raise water from the well.
Brading Roman Villa from £15.50 pp for ½ day
Roman: One of the finest Roman villas in the UK. Their award winning Visitor Centre and Museum offers a unique insight into Roman life in Britain from beautifully preserved mosaic floors to Roman archaeology.
Dinosaur Isle from £12 pp for ½ day
Pre-Historic: A great place for geological and palaeontological learning. Pupils will leave with a greater understanding of the diversity of ancient environments and the make-up of the Island’s geological timeline. They will also learn about fossilised flora and fauna and discover why the Isle of Wight is the dinosaur capital of the UK.
IW Steam Railway from £18.50 pp for ½ or full day
Heritage: Step back into a bygone era when steam powered the industrial revolution. Learn about physics, maths and engineering and be thrilled at the sight and sound of powerful steam engines at this working steam railway.
Osborne from £11 pp for ½ day
Victorian: Bring history to life and get a real insight into the private lives of Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their children at Osborne. Enjoy a free self-led visit or get hands-on with history as part of a School Discovery Visit, led by the formidable (and wonderful) costumed interpreter Mrs Pilkington.
Robin Hill Country Park from £23 pp for a full day
- Adventure: An 88 acre adventure park which boasts a fantastic blend of rides and adventure play, relaxing woodland gardens, ponds and sculpture walks.
LITERATURE & ARTS TRAIL from £17 pp for a full day
- The trail follows the rich literary and arts heritage of the Island, focusing on English, Art, Drama, and History for all key stages. It explores the locations and lives of pioneering artists and writers who were inspired here including J.M.W. Turner, J.B. Priestley, Charles Dickens, Alfred, Lord Tennyson and John Keats. The resource pack is available from June 2015.
- You can take your pick from group friendly accommodation providers, including hostels,hotels, campuses, campsites and caravan parks. Many of the options can be found in close proximity to our award winning beaches, cafés and attractions.
- Please contact us for advice on the best places to stay and we will also provide you with the costs and the current availability.
- Red Funnel has partnered with Education Destination to offer quality bespoke school trips to the Isle of Wight. Together we will ensure that your visit is educational, enjoyable and stress free, by helping you to plan your itinerary and providing supporting materials.
- The Isle of Wight is often referred to as the Island Classroom due to the diversity of outdoor learning opportunities that are available for schools and tour groups. This is the ideal place for your students to learn about a huge range of topics, within a small geographical area, and Education Destination will help you to take an innovative approach to subjects including English, Mathematics, Science, Engineering and Art & Design.
- Catering for tailor-made day trips, as well as residential visits, and can provide travel and accommodation with Red Funnel, or help you plan and book your own itinerary. We both work with service providers who have a long history of catering for visitors, so you’ll be in experienced hands at every stage.
- Group leaders are also supported by inspired resources that meet curriculum objectives, including factsheets and lesson plans prepared by qualified teachers.
- A wide range of carefully planned resources are available, from traditional activity sheets through to fully hands-on experiences, to suit your teaching style and objectives. Many are designed to be used previsit, to prepare the students, or as post-visit tasks to reinforce their learning. Sample lesson plans are also available to help you integrate your visit into your schemes of work.
- Education Destination will do as much of the preparation and planning for you as possible, so that you can save time, and take advantage of their specialist knowledge. Their team will also create an unbeatable package for your students that providesexcellent value for money. Just get in touch for a free quotation.
- Free curriculum linked resources to support your teaching on the Isle of Wight.
- Resources and activities differentiated for age and ability and designed to provide memorable and informative out of classroom experiences.
- Links with inspirational venues and service providers, including a model village, a monkey sanctuary and tree climbing organisation.
- Pick and choose activities to suit your requirements and build your unique itinerary or select a tried and tested package.